Constructional critism please.

Started by
3 comments, last by Maverick Programmer 13 years, 9 months ago
Not sure how to start this off. I'm 17 and I love music and have always wanted to compose my own music for games (maybe even for film?) and just to make music. So for the past year I've been teaching myself everything I can. Books, playing around with various instruments, listening to other inspiring musicians (my favorite: John Williams, Danny Elfman, Grant Kirkhope) etc.

Recently I've made this piece I called Orchestral Symphony. (Couldn't come up with any real good names)
">YouTube Link

I need criticism. If you could, listen to this and maybe find things I could work on for future pieces? Maybe my chord progressions are weak? Maybe I need to make certain parts quieter? Etc. I don't have many people I can go to on this. So criticism is highly welcome.

[Edited by - Maverick Programmer on July 5, 2010 8:02:42 PM]
Holy crap, you can read!
Advertisement
To me it sounds rather chaotic... unbalanced... rough. The potential is there, though.
Chaotic as in too much going on? Do you have any advice on how I would balance it out?
Holy crap, you can read!
I think it's a great piece! I think you have your concept down and are focusing on an older classic style, which is good! However, I do think you are being hindered but not by your talent. I believe that the program you are using doesn't have the quality of sound that would express this piece and do this the most justice. I don't think it's chaotic at all. Reminds me of Castlevania music, particularly Symphony of the Night. Especially the way you are using the piano! Great work! I just think that if you had a better program, your work would stand out a lot more. When I moved from fruity loops to Reason, I immediately heared a huge difference in my work. Keep up the good work, you are well on your way!
www.reginaldlseayjr.com
Hey thanks for the reply and complements!
I'll check out Reason. I wish that I had a spare orchestra on hand to actually record than using programs. They are close sometimes (only sometimes I've noticed) but I can always tell. :/

Holy crap, you can read!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement